Saturday, October 10, 2009

Is it cool enough for chili where you are?

Well its still beautiful and gorgeous weather here. Not quite chilly or chili weather. But my handsome youngest son (RLM) has asked me to make chili. Of course who could say no to the baby of the family? I decided to look around the web for a new recipe to try. I don't think I have ever made "chicken" chili before so I am going to try it.

Here's the original recipe found on this site.

Ingredients:

* 2 cups great northern dried beans, soaked overnight
* 3 cups boiling water
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 to 3 canned jalapeno peppers, chopped (pickled is fine)
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 small zucchini or summer squash, cubed
* 1 can (12 to 15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon lime juice
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and some for garnish, if desired
* 1 tomato, chopped, for garnish, or halved cherry tomatoes
* sour cream for garnish

Preparation:
Combine beans and boiling water in slow-cooker. Let stand while preparing other ingredients. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, jalapeno pepper, cumin and chili powder to the crockpot. Place chicken on top. Add cubed squash to the pot. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in corn, sour cream, salt, lime juice and chopped cilantro. Spoon into bowls. Garnish with a spoonful of sour cream, chopped tomato and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.


I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get to a few second hand stores. Still looking for some outside "fall/halloween" decorations. The Goodwill is having a 50% off the entire store today. My middle son loves to go "treasure hunting" with me, so I think I am going to take him. He's about do for some one on one time.

We also need to get the yard ready for fall/winter. Need to get the winter Rye ready to plant and the trees cleaned up.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend where you are. Sending you my thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hope it turn out good as you hope for. Have fun treasure hunting. ~ Dawn ~