After listen to some friends talking about making their own laundry soap i thought heck why not. I am so glad that I did. I am totally in love with the finish product, and the savings. I am now on my third batch on soap. I do not know when where I found the original recipe, but this is what I am doing. I use 1/4 cup for a load, its a pre-measured cup that came with my washer. I get about 64 loads per gallon of soap.
Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap
1/2 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 bars Ivory Soap (or whatever your favorite soap is)
Bucket, 2 gallon size or larger (I used a large stockpot)
Empty laundry detergent containers or bucket with lid to store detergent.
Grate Soap over large pot or saucepan; Add 6 cups of Water. Heat over medium-high until soap dissolves and melts. Add Washing Soda & Borax, and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside. Pour 4 cups Hot Water into bucket, then add Soap Mixture. Stir, then add 1 Gallon + 6 Cups of additional water. Stir.
Transfer to a bucket with a lid, or pour into empty laundry detergent containers. Set aside, and let it sit overnight, or up to 24 hours, to thicken and gel up. Consistency and color will vary depending on your soap & water ~ it may be lumpy and watery… kind of like a watery gel, but it works great!
Stir or shake before each use, as it will continue to gel.
For a scented soap, you can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
No comments:
Post a Comment